The most represented branches within the food industry are: mill and bakery industry, fruit and vegetable processing, production of milk and dairy products, production of meat and meat products, confectionery industry and pasta production. Analyzes have shown that the sectors of production and processing of milk, and fruits and vegetables are the most competitive given the favorable climatic conditions and the possibility of placement on the domestic and foreign markets. The number of companies that have introduced quality systems: ISO 9001: 2000 and HACCP quality system is constantly growing.
For the purpose of encouraging and developing agricultural production, financial incentives granted by the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Water Management of the Republic of Srpska are available to investors every year.
This sector provides huge opportunities for the production and processing of quality raw materials, as follows:
– Production and processing of fruits and vegetables: glass and plastic greenhouses for vegetables and berries for consumption and processing; growing raspberries and blackberries and building cold stores and fruit driers, raising plantations: walnuts, hazelnuts, pears, cherries and apples and fruit and vegetable processing facilities.
– Viticulture and winemaking: raising vineyards and producing grapes and wines of recognisable geographical origin is already recognised in foreign markets (even in the Far East). Favorable climatic conditions allow additional investments.
– Livestock breeding, production and processing of milk and meat: construction of farms, reprocentres, and production of meat and dairy products of higher stages of processing, permanent and semi-permanent meat products,
– Fisheries: breeding quality fish for export and raising processing capacities,
-Beekeeping: production of bee products of recognisable geographical origin for export, introduction of new products primarily for the needs of tourism and catering,
– Production and processing of medicinal herbs, mushrooms and collection of forest fruits,
– Growing and processing of industrial plants: sugar beets and oilseeds (soybeans and oilseed rape).
Quality raw material base, network of free trade agreements, as well as a long tradition of high quality food production are key reasons for the arrival of well-known international companies in the Republic of Srpska, such as: Perutnina Ptuj (Slovenia), Kraš (Croatia), Kreis Industriehandel AG (Switzerland) , Swisslion (Serbia), Imlek (Serbia), Carl Kuehne (Germany), Altima UK Value Investments Limited.