1. PROJECT TITLE
Procurement of generators for landfill gas use for energy at Ramići regional landfill
Renewable energy sources
4. BRIEF PROJECT DESCRIPTION
Works on the construction of a degasification system for the old part of the landfill were completed in the end of July 2016 and a flare was installed at Ramići landfill for landfill gas flaring. It is planned to prepare a feasibility study of landfill gas use which would include specific information obtained from the measurement points at the landfill and
demonstrate the actual quantity and composition of collected gas. If the feasibility study confirms the justifiability of landfill gas use, the preparation of a gas engine project and an environmental impact assessment will be started.
Measurements of landfill gas quantity and composition made for the needs of the degasification project showed that gas quantity and composition on the passive degasification wells placed on the landfill also meet the requirements for landfill gas use for energy purposes.
The planned procurement includes a 250 kW gas engine, a purifier of landfill gas before entry into the gas engine, and a substation.
5. PROJECT DETAILS
5.1 What type of project is it
5.2 Project status
5.3 Reasons to invest in the project
Use of landfill gas as a renewable energy source to generate electricity and thermal energy.
The electricity generated would be used for landfill needs or distributed into the grid. This project is interesting for a potential investor because the raw material, in this case municipal waste, is provided, since it concerns a regional landfill receiving waste from the City of Banja Luka and seven neighboring municipalities (300 tons per day on average). Also, PE DEP-OT which manages the landfill has a qualified staff and labor force.
Starting from the assumption that 110kW power would be used initially, the operation of 7200 hours annually would generate 792 MWh of electricity. Connecting the part of the landfill which currently receives waste to the degasification system would result in increased MW generation.
Pursuant to the RS Law on Renewable Energy Sources and Efficient Cogeneration (RS Official Gazette 39/13), a generator of electricity at a bio-gas power plant is entitled to an incentive. The RS Regulatory Commission for Energy set the guaranteed purchase price for landfill gas in an efficient cogeneration plant at 0.0698 BAM/kWh (Decision of 15 April 2016). Agreement on purchase of electricity generated from renewable sources was signed with the Power Utility of the Republic of Srpska.
The profit generated on those grounds would be shared between the public and the private partner, depending on their investment.
Location advantages and existing infrastructure at the landfill: The landfill is located at Crkvine, Ramići settlement, in the north-western part of the municipality of Banja Luka, on the left side of the M4 Banja Luka – Prijedor trunk road and about 150 metres from it. The location is connected with the main trunk road by a two lane auxiliary access road. Distance from the center of Banja Luka to the landfill is about 10 kilometers.
Banja Luka region is very well connected with the Republic of Croatia.
Another advantage is the proximity of Mahovljani international airport.
The urban technical requirements cover the area of about 29 ha of the existing landfill and its expansion to a total area of 44 ha.
The area of Ramići Regional Landfill consists of a reception area of three components and the landfill with the supporting infrastructure:
I Reception area
- entrance road with weighing scales (entrance and exit, two weighbridges);
- weight and incoming waste verification facility;
- administrative building with parking area;
- internal roads for movement of trucks and operating machinery.
II Operating area
- heavy machinery workshop and garage;
- vehicle washing and disinfection area with an automatic car wash;
- plant for leachate treatment by reverse osmosis method;
- landfill gas burning plant-flare;
- petrol station.
III Body of the landfill
- waste depositing area;
- earth barriers to secure the body of the landfill from sliding;
- hydrant ring;
- recycling material area;
- surface water collection and treatment area (collector);
- leachate collection area.
A 10/(20)/0.4 kV, 1000/630 kVA prefabricated concrete substation with a medium voltage connection is built on the landfill.
6. PROJECT FINANCING:
6.1 Estimated project value in €
6.2 Planned sources of financing
Public private partnership
6.3 Inputs by local partner
120,000.00 euro (land, raw material, infrastructure, human resources, feasibility study, environmental impact study, gas engine project, project review, supervision, necessary documentation and operating permit)
6.4 Inputs by investor
480,000.00 euro (procurement of 250 kW gas engine, landfill gas purifier and construction of a substation)
7. Has physical location for project implementation been identified
Main planning documents: BiH Solid Waste Management Strategy and Republic of Srpska Spatial Plan provide for the use of the Ramići Regional Landfill area for solid waste disposal.
Regulation plan: Amendment to the Regulation Plan for the Regional Solid Waste Sanitary Landfill Area at Ramići Location in Banja Luka adopted on 30 October 2006. Resolved ownership issues (PE DEP-OT is full owner of the land accommodating the landfill). The founders of the PE DEP-OT are the City of Banja Luka and seven neighboring municipalities. Their shares in founding the company are defined by the amount of the
invested capital as follows:
- City of Banja Luka 62.03%
- Municipality of Gradiška 14.00%
- Municipality of Prnjavor 10.00%
- Municipality of Laktaši 8.00%
- Municipality of Srbac 1.92%
- Municipality of Kotor Varoš 0.03%
- Municipality of Čelinac 4.00%
- Municipality of Kneževo
- built infrastructure (entrance road with weighing scales, weight and incoming waste verification facility, administrative building with parking area, internal roads for movement of trucks and operating machinery, heavy machinery workshop and garage, car wash, plant for leachate treatment by reverse osmosis method; landfill gas burning plant-flare; petrol station, substation, waste depositing area, earth barriers to secure the body of the landfill from sliding, hydrant ring, recycling material area, surface water collection and treatment area (collector), leachate collection area).
- Favorable geographic position is characterized by the proximity of the border with the Republic of Croatia and proximity of Mahovljani international airport.
8. Have the activities on project implementation already started
9. Project applicant and contact information
JP DEP-OT REGIONALNA DEPONIJA BANJA LUKA
Contact: Novo Grujić, Director